Monday, September 10, 2012

Some reflectionS

Yesterday, I turned 30! I can't believe I managed to live this long! ;o)  During my teenage years, I thought for sure my mom (or one of my sisters) would kill me! I was also fairly clumsy!

I find myself reflective of all I wanted to and expected to have done before turning thirty. 


Between the ages of five and eleven, I always wanted to be some kind of scientist: "Dinosaur Digger"/Paleontologist, Doctor, Geologist, Astronaut, Astronomer, Nurse, Geologist.

At twelve and thirteen, I just wanted to be a Summer Camp Counselor and then marry Keanu Reeves.

Early in my high school career, in Health class, I remember creating a “My Future” goals project, it was supposed to be of goals you would accomplish and things you would do in the next 12-15 years (by the time you were 30).

 I still remember most of my goals (there is a check mark next to what I have actually accomplished):
?    graduate from high school as the class of 2000
‘    graduate from college  
‘    get married  
‘    have 5 kids, some adopted, possibly foster some extras  
‘    live in a log cabin-style mansion (I spent a lot of time on this and had paint chips and furniture picked out)  
‘    have 2 Great Danes, an English Mastiff, a rat, a pair of guinea pigs and 3 cats  
‘    drive a Model T in the summer and a PT Cruiser all other seasons  
‘    run a child care center out of a part of my mansion, children would be able to stay overnight in thematic bedrooms when single parents went on business trips or newly married parents went on honeymoons and I would have a really awesome playground that looked like a castle. (This was before Extreme Makeover: Home Edition had ever aired)
‘    travel the United States (Yellowstone, The Alamo, The Giant Ball of String, etc.)


At 17, I was going to be a High School English teacher.

10 years ago, I had no idea what I was going to "be."


In 2008, I was going to be a Nurse.  My mom suggested I try a Medical Assistant program to get my feet wet and see if I actually liked the medical field.  So I went to Ross. I did fairly well and enjoyed learning, but when I got into "the real world," I was bored, like reeeeeaaaaalllly bored.  On my internship, I kept getting yelled at for "talking to the patients" - I was in a Pediatrician's Office. The patients were sick children and I was making them smile!


In 2009, I was going to be a Church Youth Leader and was all set to go to Concordia Chicago, but tuition was waaay to expensive and God pretty much said, "Uh, no, I want you to teach."


So, in 2010, I went back to College, this time with the goal of Elementary Education in mind, and, now, here I am at University with approximately 4 semesters left of my Bachelor's Degree! No husband,, no kids, no mansion, one cat, no car (it died and I can't afford a new one and school at the same time), and a few grand adventures under my belt.


I haven't "Traveled the United States", but I have a few "exotic" locales under my belt, such as: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Louisiana; with little via points or side trips to: Maryland, Minnesota, Texas (I peed in Texas and then ran to catch my flight!), Delaware, New Jersey, and Wisconsin.

I have to wait for my Birthday gifts from family members, and my best friend gave me some really cool gifts (that I haven't photographed yet!) But I will post photos after the Family Celebration (later this week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment